The symptoms of common flu are so similar that people who are having mold related symptoms cannot differentiate between the two. While the awareness related to mold and its harmful effects has increased quite a lot, it is difficult to identify if a symptom is due to mold. However, if symptoms are prolonged or if someone in the family is sick for no apparent reason, the culprit is most likely “The Mold.”
Mold or Mould refers to fungi that grows on varied surfaces if it is in a conducive environment. When inhaled, the body responds in the form of allergic reactions trying to defend the foreign particles entering the body. This defence mechanism can have multiple effects that are visible in different ways, but children, immuno compromised people, elderly and pregnant women are most susceptible to the negative effects of mold. Children whose immune systems have not developed fully can be at risk for really serious complications, depending on the extent of mold exposure.
Effects of Mold on Children’s Health
Various studies from around the world has determined a close relationship between living in a mold-affected environment and negative respiratory symptoms in children.
Children may experience respiratory problems such as:
- Shortness of breath
- Runny nose
- Itchy nose
- Nasal congestion
- Sore throat
- Various other flu-like symptoms
Mold spores may trigger more frequent asthma attacks and lead to lung disorders, for children suffering from asthma.
Any type of mold growth may result in worrying allergy symptoms, the greatest health risks for children come from black mold (Stachybotrys chartarum). Mycotoxins produced by black mold can be particularly harmful to kids and may even be fatal. Severe breathing difficulty and bleeding in the lungs can result if the mycotoxins get stuck in the mucus membranes and the lungs.
Toxic black mold mycotoxins can enter the human body through the skin, especially if it comes to the delicate skin of a child. If a child’s skin comes into contact with black mold spores, it could lead to irritation, itching, rashes, and other skin problems.
When the cells in the eyes come in contact with the mycotoxins, it could result in vision problems such as:
- Itchy eyes
- Water eyes
- Red or bloodshot eyes
- Eye inflammation and soreness
- Blurry vision
Health Effects of Black Mold
Severe over all organ damage can be caused from extended exposure to black mold.
Black mold can enter the body through the skin and eyes very easily. Once the mycotoxins get into the bloodstream, it can lead to a number of cardio vascular symptoms, such as irregular heartbeat, low blood pressure and even haemorrhaging.
Body’s reaction to mold depends on the person’s sensitivity and overall health condition, the amount and the type of mold present in the environment, and the duration of exposure. However, the more a child lives in a mold-affected environment the more sensitive to the deleterious microorganisms he/she will become. The resultant allergic reactions will become more and more aggravated.
So, to avert solemn health quandaries and invert the negative effects of mold, you require to take immediate and efficient measures at the first sign of mold growth in your home.
What To Do About Mold In Home
Mold needs warm and sultry environments to thrive in, hence damp areas in the home, bathrooms, kitchens, and basements, are the most likely places to find household mold.
Mold removal in Singapore, however, can be a daunting task – you require to efficaciously discover and kill all the mold spores in your property, as well as to dispense the mold toxins which disintegrate into little particles that may contain mycotoxins, when agitated. So, unless mold covers only a diminutive area that can be cleaned thoroughly or the contaminated materials can be easily removed, you are recommended to hire professional mold removal specialists who will not only take care of any mold quandaries you have, but will guarantee that your abode remains mold-free in the future as well.
You should see a gradual decrease in mold allergy symptoms once the mold remediation process is completed. However if a child has been long exposed black mold his/her immune system will remain weak and he/she will be more sensitive.