Black mold exposure can cause coughing and sneezing, irritation to eyes, mucous membranes of the nose and throat, headaches and chronic fatigue. A prolonged exposure to black mold can prove to be more dangerous and can result in organ failure, debilitated immune system and brain damage – which could result in death. Black mold is also classified as a carcinogenic. They can also produce Mycotoxins, intake of which could cause diseases which can be fatal in humans and animals.
Mold spreads very quickly if preventive measures aren’t taken. Although there are some measures that can be taken at home, mold is best treated by hiring a professional. In certain cases, DIY could worsen the problem.
Any wet/damp materials and furnishings should be cleaned within 1-2 days of the first appearance of mold to prevent regrowth. Mold dies without water but the spores do not. Spores can regrow into colonies of mold if exposed to water again. The invisible mold spores are the main reason to hire a mold remediation expert to address the root of the problem.
Microbial Volatile Organic Compounds (MVOCs) that are emitted from mold and mildew can give out a musty smell which can also be pungent. It is usually unpleasant and it can be uncomfortable to be in a room where a musty smell is present.